In 100 Tampere will once again be the hub of international hockey excitement – do you still remember these moments from last spring?
The Men’s Ice Hockey World Championship returns to Tampere this spring as Tampere and Riga, the capital of Latvia, host the games from 12-28 May. Tampere will once again become a hub of international hockey excitement filled with joyful hockey fans and the atmosphere of a major event. So that the 100-day wait doesn’t feel too long, we take you back to last spring and give you some Tampere tips to ease your hockey hunger.
At the time of the championships, the city of Tampere was coloured by spectacular decorations and the illumination of Tampere’s iconic buildings. The statues on the Hämeensilta bridge were also dressed up for the occasion.
Summer terrace restaurants, known as Kesäkeidas served as a local hub for the ice hockey atmosphere. Kesäkeidas will be back next spring offering authentic Tampere experience, refreshing drinks and delicious food. As last year, all the games played in Tampere will be screened at the Terrace Restaurants.
The official hockey street, Tuomiokirkonkatu was filled with joyful hockey fans, great dance performances and colourful decorations. Hockey enthusiast strolled along the colourful Hockey Street to the brand-new Deck Arena, the venue for the championship. The tournament will be played at the same venue again this year.
During the tournament, Tampere was filled with a variety of side activities organised by different businesses, communities and associations. Visitors enjoyed the activity areas, guided tours and theme nights. This spring, the City of Tampere challenges the whole community to organize side events for the Championship.
Thanks to its central location, the arena is easily accessible by foot, bike or electric scooter. Tampere’s public transport Nysse also serves as a means of transport for many visitors to get to the venue. Again this year, free public transport is included in the match ticket.
An unforgettable hockey spring came to a great end when the Finnish national ice hockey team won the fourth World Cup in history. The World Cup gold medal was celebrated after the finals in Keskustori Central Square and the next day in Hakametsä.
Got hockey hunger? Ease the wait with these tips!
In 100 days Tampere will once again become the center of international ice hockey hype. To ease your hockey hunger, follow these tips:
- Keep up with Tampere’s traditions and play hockey outdoors at the skating venues – there are over 100 of them in Tampere! Skating venues in Tampere.
- Join the local ice hockey atmosphere. The ongoing Finnish Championship is well worth watching. The local ice hockey teams Tappara and Ilves are the two most successful teams in Finland. Last season, Tappara won the Finnish championship and Ilves the bronze medal.
- Discover Tampere’s long history and traditions of hockey at the Finnish Ice Hockey Museum in Vapriikki. It displays the many high points of ice hockey in Finland, from its infancy in the 1930s to the successes of today.
- Follow the city’s official hockey website to keep up to date with what’s happening in the city during the World Cup.
- Follow the city’s social media channels on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to see more ice hockey updates and atmosphere.